Testing wet conditions fail to dampen Steele's charge in F3 Cup at Anglesey

12/09/2011 - Tricky wet and windy conditions tested the skills of the F3 Cup drivers at Anglesey but Aaron Steele remained unfazed as he recorded another double win.

12/09/2011 - Tricky wet and windy conditions tested the skills of the F3 Cup drivers at Anglesey but Aaron Steele remained unfazed as he recorded another double win at the MSVR Races of Wales.

The Kent-born driver once again started from pole position and despite a prolonged rain shower making the 2.1 mile Anglesey International circuit desperately slippery, he guided his Dallara home to take the chequered flag. He was joined on the podium by fellow Kent driver Mark Terry after another impressive drive and Mark Harrison, who finished third.

Steele made no mistakes at the start and he entered the first corner in the lead. Mark Terry repeated his start from race one and dived down the inside of Needham to grab second position. They were followed by Mark Harrison and Nick Robinson in the Mark Bailey Racing run machine.

However, as of the first race Needham lost control of his car and his spin dropped him down to fourth behind Mark Harrison. The recovering Karaskas found his rhythm again and began to catch up the field homing in on the rear of Stuart Wiltshire's car. It wasn't long before the Epping driver overtook and he then moved up to seventh with a pass on Neil Harrison.

At the front Steele once again showed his capabilities at the wheel of a F3 car as he stormed into a commanding lead, setting a consistent pace around the 2.1 mile track. Second position was far from certain as Harrison closed the gap to Terry. In the end Terry held his nerve to hold on to second place behind Steele, who claimed yet another victory, increasing his hopes of winning a FIA Formula Two test drive. Harrison secured the final spot on the podium finishing ahead of Needham.

With another double win to add to his impressive 2011 season, Steele said: "It's nice to perform everywhere we visit and especially to do it in both the dry and thre wet conditions at Anglesey. Its another perfect weekend and the points for the Sunoco Grand Am 200 Challenge are great. I've tested a MINI at the new Silverstone circuit and i've watched a few races there so i'm looking forward to attacking the new Arena GP complex at the next round."

After extending his run of podium finishes to four in a row, Terry admitted he is feeling confident in the car but remains determined to catch Steele.

Terry said: "It's really coming together now. I think last year there wasn't a race where I didn't get a podium. I'm slowly coming back from the accident at Snetterton and i'm feeling really confident in the car. In the race we were still two or three seconds slower than Aaron and my main goal is try and beat him. I was under pressure from Chris Needham in the race and then from Mark Harrison so it was a case of just keeping the car on the track."

Two podiums from a weekend marked Mark Harrison's best performance of the 2011 F3 Cup and he was duly delighted by his results, he said: "I'm very pleased it has been a good weekend. To get on the podium twice and to have a good race in the dry and a more competitive race in the wet is very pleasing. I enjoy the Anglesey circuit, its got a bit of everything. I enjoyed the old circuit but I think this new one is  step up on the previous layout."

For full results of Race Two, please CLICK HERE.

The F3 Cup visits the new Silverstone Grand Prix circuit for the next round of the series on 30 September - 01 October.