Snetterton Double for Scott

David Scott followed up his maiden win in perfect fashion by taking the flag in a restarted race two of round seven at Snetterton.

David Scott followed up his maiden win in perfect fashion by taking the flag in a restarted race two of round seven at Snetterton.

Powell was the first car on the grid, despite Tristan Cliffe having secured pole by setting the fastest lap of Saturday's race one. Cliffe failed to make the grid due to extensive damage to his Dallara from Saturday's clash with Powell and he was later denied the chance to use the car he took to the 2012 Teams' and Cup class title because not all of the grid agreed to the switch.

Powell's Mark Bailey Racing team worked overnight to get her onto the grid after raiding the spares cupboard, even having to fit new tyres.

Treacherous conditions greeted the drivers, not brought by the weather but by a long line of cement dust soaking up oil spread by an early GT car. It was that dust that accounted for the race's restart.

Powell got away well from Alex Craven and Scott, but when they arrived at Coram, Powell spun on the dust and kerb. Craven behind tried to take avoiding action but he was having to do so blind due the cloud of dust thrown up and he could do nothing but collect Powell. Both drivers safely climbed out of their cars but the red flag was issued to remove the two front-runners and Tony Bishop, who had also spun in a separate incident.

With all three championship contenders out of the picture, David Scott and Louis Hamilton-Smith were left as the cars on the front of the grid, albeit starting from grid slot numbers four and five.

On the restart they got away well and ran closely out front, slowly building a gap to Mark Harrison in third. He too was pulling away from the cars behind, namely Olly Rae who had had a great start to get into fourth.

Rae was cruelly forced to pit for a front right puncture, throwing more misfortune at him and the luckless Enigma Motorsport. That left Dave Karaskas and the catching Stuart Wiltshire to fight for fourth and while Wiltshire caught up to his tail, the flag dropped before he could find a way through. Nick Robinson rounded out the top six for Mark Bailey Racing.

Out in front Hamilton-Smith was fading from the shadow of Scott, who was putting in fastest laps nearly every tour, continuing his good pace from race one. The slippery conditions of race two meant Tristan Cliffe's time from Saturday was quick enough to secure him the IWI Fastest Lap Award for the weekend.

Other commitments mean round seven is Scott's last round of 2012, and the double win and run of three podiums is the perfect way for Scott to cap his season. But for the three championship contenders, it opens the fight up once more with two rounds and four races left to run.

  1. David Scott - 8 laps
  2. Louis Hamilton-Smith - +2.243
  3. Mark Harrison - +20.568
  4. Dave Karaskas - +31.720
  5. Stuart Wiltshire - +32.4.3
  6. Nick Robinson - +1:25.199
  7. Olly Rae + 1 lap


Donington hosts F3 Cup next for the penultimate round of the 2013 season on 28/29th September.