Six up for Sowery with round eight Spa pole
Championship leader Toby Sowery made it two poles in two at Spa-Francorchamps, to take his season tally to six. Once again, the youngster heading Tristan Cliffe and Lee Morgan in the Cup 07 Class.
Championship leader Toby Sowery made it two poles in two at Spa-Francorchamps, to take his season tally to six. Once again, the youngster headed Tristan Cliffe and Lee Morgan in the Cup 07 Class.
Mark Harrison claimed fourth in the class, despite a delaminating tyre during the session. Robbie Watts in fifth came out on top of a closely matched trio containing Stuart Wiltshire and Tony Bishop, covered by just four-tenths.
After suffering throttle issues in the first session, Oliver Rae struggled with a gear linkage issue and could only manage a handful of laps. The Enigma Motorsport racer managed to secure the Trophy 01 Class pole ahead of James Ledamun to line up as eighth of the points-scorers.
As in the first session of the day, Invitational Class runner Peter Li Zhi Cong was the quickest man around the Belgian track. The cushion was much more comfortable than the first as Carlin's British F3 racer beat Sowery by 0.9s to the outright pole. Fellow Invitational Class entrant and Sowery's Lanan Racing teammate Struan Moore was second early on before Sowery moved back to the front-row midway through the session.
Traffic again was tough, and the fight was on to claim prime tarmac in the opening stages. Bishop, Morgan and Cliffe jostled, with Morgan initially in the slot behind Sowery before Cliffe found the space to set the second best Cup 07 Class time. Mark Harrison and Robbie Watts were the late movers, both leap-frogging Wiltshire and Bishop in the closing stages.
Of the outright top five of Li, Sowery, Moore, Cliffe and Morgan, only the latter bettered the time set in the morning.
Round eight takes place on Sunday 29 June at 10:50.
Round eight qualifying classification
- Li Zhi Cong (Invitational Class) - Carlin Racing - 2:19.934s
- Toby Sowery (Cup 07 Class) - Lanan Racing - +0.946ss
- Struan Moore (Invitational Class) - Lanan Racing - +1.643s
- Tristan Cliffe (Cup 07 Class) - Omicron Motorsport - +2.974s
- Lee Morgan - (Cup 07 Class) - Grays Motorsport - +4.694s
- Mark Harrison - (Cup 07 Class) - Omicron Motorsport +5.139s
- Robbie Watts - (Cup 07 Class) - Raw Power Motorsport - +6.014s
- Stuart Wiltshire - (Cup 07 Class) - Gale Force Racing - +6.366s
- Tony Bishop - (Cup 07 Class) - Chris Dittmann Racing - +6.423s
- Oliver Rae - (Trophy 01 Class) - Enigma Motorsport - +7.550s
- James Ledamun - (Trophy 01 Class) - TRS - +14.950s
Photo credit Andrew Cliffe/Norwich Photo