Perfect Oulton Park weekend for Sowery as he doubles up
Toby Sowery helped Lanan Racing to a perfect weekend by converting his pole position into his second win of the day at Oulton Park
Toby Sowery helped Lanan Racing to a perfect weekend by converting his pole position into a dominant second win of the day at Oulton Park.
Tristan Cliffe kept the championship fight alive by taking another second place, while Louis Hamilton-Smith returned to the podium in third ahead of Oliver Rae. Enigma Motorsport's Rae finished second on the road but a 10-second penalty dropped him to fourth.
Lee Morgan took fifth ahead of a recovering Henry Chart and Jonathan Weston-Taylor won the race for seventh ahead of Nick Robinson Oliver Stirling and Stuart Wiltshire.
It was Cliffe who initially had the best start, but he lost out when he suffered wheelspin on every upshift. Chart seized the chance and entered Old Hall first, followed by Sowery who was himself recovering from a slow getaway. Rae jumped Cliffe too, but was soon 10-seconds back on the timing screens after an out of position start.
Chart's lead didn't last long as he spun out and to the back of the pack. Sowery inherited the lead and steadily worked on building it, collecting the IWI Watches Fastest Lap of the Weekend Award along the way.
Rae remained the next driver on the road as Cliffe struggled to find a way past. As they pulled away, it moved the penalty-laden Rae slowly up the order. Behind those two, Hamilton-Smith closed on Morgan and soon moved into the top three. But as he closed in on Cliffe, he went straight on at the chicane, undoing his good work. He then decided to settle for third and another podium.
Chart made good progress after his spin, catching and passing the four-car fight of Jonathan Weston-Taylor, Nick Robinson, Oliver Stirling and Stuart Wiltshire. Chart managed to safely navigate through their fighting to round out the top six when Mark Harrison dropped out of that spot and into the gravel at Lodge.
Round 10 classification
- Toby Sowery - Lanan Racing - 9 laps
- Tristan Cliffe - Omicron Motorsport - +12.886s
- Louis Hamilton-Smith - Jigsaw Motorsport - +17.079s
- Oliver Rae - Enigma Motorsport - +22.612s (10 second penalty)
- Lee Morgan - Grays Motorsport - +25.395s
- Henry Chart - Enigma Motorsport - +1:05.378s
- Jonathan Weston-Taylor - Stanwood Engineering - +1:17.636s
- Nick Robinson - Gale Force Racing - +1:25.009s
- Oliver Stirling - Stanbrige Motorsport - +1:25.839s
- Stuart Wiltshire - Gale Force Racing - +1:26.431s
- Mark Harrison - Omicron Motorsport - DNF