Comeback Chris Returns to Form

Chris Dittmann won the second race of the weekend at Snetterton 200 today (14 May) after leading from start to finish.

Chris Dittmann won the second race of the weekend at Snetterton 200 today (14 May) after leading from start to finish.

2012 F3 Cup Champion Chris Dittmann found himself racing this weekend after filling in at the last minute for Phillip Jeans, who joined Dittmann's eponymous squad this season.

As with the first race yesterday, conditions were wet, but significantly more so this morning. The majority of drivers chose, and stayed on, the Pirelli wet tyres.

As the lights went out for the race start, Dittmann shot off into the lead from third position, as Kelly stalled on the grid after struggling to get traction on the wetter side of the track.

Due to the tricky conditions, drivers were spinning off and recovering throughout the race. Ultimately the race was red flagged after Malcolm Scott's F398 Dallara stopped on the Senna Straight, and the eventual winner was Dittmann, followed by Shane Kelly in second.

Initially, the timing screen had Jacopo Sebastiani in third position. However, after an investigation from the Clerk of the Course, it was decided that Heffernan should not have been 'not classified' on the provisional result. Heffernan spun at Murrays but restarted under his own power prior to the red flags being deployed, and so was reinstated third place.

Race winner Chris Dittmann, said: "Really pleased, they were tricky conditions, but it was wetter than yesterday so the decision on tyres was a bit easier. We had a good start, Shane (Kelly) struggled to get off the line, and it was a bit tight getting around him, and then I got a good run on Robbie (Watts) into the first corner. Then I pushed hard and got a really good lead. It was a bit of a shock to be back in the car, Phillip (Jeans) had work commitments, so kindly offered the car to me, and to come back for a win is great for me and great for the team".

Shane Kelly, who finished in second, said: "It was a nightmare for me at the start, it was a struggle to get away and I had a stall, so that put me down the field. But then I managed to get around some of the cars around the outside of the first corner, and I knew we would have a good pace in the wet. I just got my head down, and had a good battle with Heffernan and Cian (Carey), and Robbie (Watts)."

Third place finisher, James Heffernan, said: "To be honest, it was pretty dicey out there, but the race was very enjoyable for all the drivers, with two or three place changes a lap, in some cases. My spin at Murrays took me by surprise; I didn't know anything about the red flag until I got the car going again. But, thankfully the results have been rectified, and it's good to have the points for the team."